View of the Parsvanatha and Adinatha Temples, Khajuraho
Photographer: Beglar, Joseph David
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Parshvanatha and Adinatha Temples at Khajuraho from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections: Indian Museum Series (Duplicates), taken by Joseph David Beglar in 1871-72. Khajuraho was the capital of the Chandella dynasty which ruled in central India in the ninth century. Of the numerous temples that were erected at this site only about twenty-five have survived. They represent the culmination of the central Indian style of architecture and the sensuous sculptures that decorate them are among the masterpieces of Indian art. The Parshvanatha Temple, which can be seen in the foreground, is a large Jain temple from the mid-10th century of the Chandella period. A tall spire consisting of clusters of miniature towers dominates the whole building. The outer walls of the sanctuary and of the mandapa or hall are decorated with panels of fine sculptures of Vasihnava themes as well as amorous couples. Jina figures are carved on the lintel of the interior doorway. The spire of the Jain Adinatha Temple (late 11th century) is seen beyond.