View of the gateway known as the Jhula Darwaza, Rewa.
Photographer: Garrick, Henry Baily Wade
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the gateway known as the Jhula Darwaza, Rewa taken by Henry Baily Wade Garrick in 1881 or 1882. This gateway now stands in front of the Maharajah's palace in the town of Rewa. Cunningham believed that it originally stood in the nearby village of Gurgi and was originally part of a ruined Hindu temple. On a later tour, Garrick found the spot where it had been moved from, proving this theory. The gateway is very large, twenty five feet high and eighteen across and is highly ornamented. The scenes depicted on both the columns and the architrave are religious in nature; depictions of Ganesha and Parvarti on the columns are particularly conspicuous. Across the top of the gate, three depictions of bulls suggest a sacrificial scene.