View of the City Palace, with entrance gateway in the foreground, Udaipur
Photographer: Baudesson, O.S.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of City Palace, with entrance gateway in the foreground, Udaipur, taken by O.S Baudesson in 1882, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections.
Udaipur was chosen by Maharana Udai Singh (r.1567-72) of the Sisodia Rajputs as the new capital of the Mewar state, after the previous Mewar capital, the hilltop fortress of Chittorgarh, was sacked by the Mughal Emperor Akbar. This view shows the colossal City Palace built on the east bank of Lake Pichola. The palace was begun by Udai Singh but dates mainly from the 17th and 18th centuries. It consists of a series of buildings faced in white plaster with steep, fortified windowless walls rising to meet tiers of balconies, towers and domed kiosks at the upper levels. The principal access is from the town bazaar through the Badi Pol, or Great Gate (1600), shown in this view.