View across courtyards in the City Palace looking towards the Pichola Lake, with the Jag Niwas (Lake Palace) in the foreground, Udaipur
Photographer: Baudesson, O.S.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Pichola Lake, with the Jag Niwas (Lake Palace) in the foreground, Udaipur, taken by O.S Baudesson in 1882, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. Udaipur was chosen by Maharana Udai Singh (r.1567-72) of the Sisodia Rajputs as the new capital of the Mewar state in the mid-16th century, after the previous Mewar capital, the hilltop fortress of Chittorgarh, was sacked by the Mughal Emperor Akbar. The city of Udaipur, is situated on the Lake Pichola, an artificial lake built in the 14th century. This view is taken from the City Palace; a colossal palace built on the east bank of Lake Pichola. The palace was begun by Udai Singh but construction continued during the 17th and 18th centuries. The Jag Niwas, in the foreground of this photograph, is a lake palace built during the reign of Jagat Singh (r.1734-51), with later additions. It comprises a series of courts with gardens and fountains.