View of east side of Pani Mahal (library), City Palace, Udaipur
Photographer: Baudesson, O.S.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the east side of Pani Mahal (library), City Palace at Udaipur in Rajasthan, taken by O.S. Baudesson in 1882, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. Udaipur was established as the new capital of Mewar state by Maharana Udai Singh (r.1567-72) of the Sisodia Rajputs, after the sack of Chittorgarh by the Mughal Emperor Akbar in 1567. The colossal City Palace was built on the east bank of Lake Pichola. It was begun by Udai Singh with additions made by subsequent rulers in the 17th and 18th centuries. It consists of a series of buildings faced in white plaster with steep, fortified windowless walls rising to meet tiers of balconies, towers and domed kiosks at the upper levels. This view shows the outside of the area known as Pani Mahal, the library.