View of Hira Gate and Kali Temple, Dabhoi
Photographer: Cousens, Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Hira Gate and the Kali Temple at Dabhoi, in Gujarat, taken by Henry Cousens in the 1880s. Dabhoi is an ancient town in the south of Gujarat that was fortified by the Solanki Rajputs from the 12th century. The fort, an example of the Rajput military style, was built in the 13th century by the Vaghela king of Patan, or Anhilvada. Its plan of construction follows the shastric traditions described in the Vastu scriptures, for example there are four gates one in each of the cardinal directions. The Hira Gate or Diamond Gate is at the east. In the 'Report on the Antiquities of Kathiawad and Kachh of 1874-75', Burgess wrote, "Original portions... of the four [gates] still remain,- they have only been repaired or partially rebuilt, and Muhammadan arches substituted for the old Rajput mode of spanning the aperture by corbelling inwards by means of a series of carved brackets supporting long stone lintels above...the brackets, lintels, and upper portions of the side walls have all been elaborately carved with mythological figures and architectural ornament." The Kalika Mata temple dates from 1225. It is covered of intricate carvings depicting miniature figures, animals and lotus motifs.