View of the entrance to Alakapuri Cave Temple from the right, Udayagiri
Photographer: Caddy, Alexander E.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the entrance to Alakapuri Cave Temple from the right, Udayagiri, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections, taken by Alexander E.Caddy in 1895. In the twin hills of Khandgiri, or Khandagiri, and Udayagiri, near Bhubaneshwar in Orissa, is a series of Jain cave temples called 'gumpha' locally, cut out of the sandstone. Most of them were excavated in the period of the Chedi kings around 1st century BC. Alakapuri-Gumpha, consists of two spacious cells on two storeys. The storeys do not rest directly one above the other, but the upper recedes so that the top of the lower one forms a terrace. The lower cell has lost the front wall and the verandah. The upper storey is entered through a series of steps in front of the next door cave. Three doorways lead to the cell which has convex roof. The verandah in front was supported on two pillars with brackets carved with animal figures.