Viceregal Lodge and Boileaugunge from Prospect Hill [Simla].
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Viceregal Lodge, Shimla, from the Elgin Collection: 'Spring Tours 1894-98', taken in the 1890s. View looking north-east towards the Viceregal Lodge on the summit of the ridge at the left with Boileauganj Bazaar below. The Snowy Range is seen in the distance. The hill-station of Shimla, now the capital of the state of Himachal Pradesh, was a popular resort with British residents of India in the 1820s. It also became the Presidency's summer capital when the Governor-General began to take his administration with him to the hills to escape the intense heat of Calcutta. The Lodge situated on a hill with spectacular views was built for Viceroy Lord Dufferin in a grey stone in Elizabethan style, and completed in 1888. The Viceregal Lodge is now known as the Rashtrapati Niwas and used by the Institute of Advanced Study.