View from the Rock of Trichinopoly
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph from the Elgin Collection: 'Autumn Tour 1895. Vol II' of the rock at Tiruchirapalli in Tamil Nadu, taken by Nicholas and Company in the 1890s.
Tiruchirapalli is situated on the River Kaveri in Tamil Nadu. The town has been a stronghold of various ruling dynasties-Pallavas, Cholas, Nayakas and later occupied by the British. The town is dominated by the Rock Fort, a massive sand-coloured rock which towers to a height of over 80 metres. The Pallavas were the first to exploit the rock, building temples into its side, but it was the Nayakas of Madurai who realised the site's potential as a fort adding only a few walls and bastions as fortifications in the 17th century. They firmly established Tiruchirapalli as an important trading city.