View of Moulmein from the Great Pagoda.
Photographer: Bourne and Shepherd
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of Moulmein (Mawlamyaing) taken in Burma (Myanmar) in the 1870s by Bourne and Shepherd, part of the Gladstone Collection. Moulmein, the chief town of the Mon State, lies on the coast of south-east Burma at the mouth of the Thanlwin (Salween) river where it meets the Gulf of Martaban (Mottama). It developed as a colonial town between 1827 and 1852, when it was the administrative capital of British Burma. During this period, it became a major centre for the export of teak, and remains an important seaport for coastal shipping. A number of shrines and monasteries like the Kyaikthanlan Pagoda (referred to in Rudyard Kipling's poem 'Mandalay') were built on a ridge of hills running north-south in east Moulmein, commanding a view of the town and river. In this view, the Jail buildings are seen with the Thanlwin in the distance.