Village near Calcutta (Alipore)
Photographer: Fiebig, Frederick
Medium: Photographic print
A hand-coloured print of Alipore, a suburb of Calcutta, from the Fiebig Collection: Views of Calcutta and Surrounding Districts, taken by Frederick Fiebig in 1851. Alipore was a village to the south of Calcutta, which, together with Kidderpore and Bhowanipore, later became a suburb of the city. They were set apart from the city by the canal known as Tolly's Nullah, which necessitated the building of bridges across it, such as the Alipore and the Kidderpore bridges.