View of the Hooghly near Hastings' Bridge, Calcutta
Photographer: Fiebig, Frederick
Medium: Photographic print
A hand-coloured print of the Hooghly near Hastings bridge, Calcutta, from the Fiebig Collection: Views of Calcutta and Surrounding Districts, taken by Frederick Fiebig in 1851. Hastings Bridge which crossed the Tolly Nullah, a canal off of the Hooghly River, was named after the Marquis of Hastings, Governor-General of India from 1813 to 1823. In 1874 the suspension bridge collapsed and was replaced by a stronger bridge. The Hooghly is the most important commercial arm of the Ganges river, it provides access to Calcutta from the Bay of Bengal. This view shows budgerows and other native craft on the banks of the River Hooghly, with a sailing ship passing.