Vepery Church, Madras.
Medium: Photographic print
A photograph of the Vepery Church in Madras from the 'Vibart Collection of Views in South India' taken by an unknown photographer about 1855. Originally built as a Roman Catholic Church by the Armenian merchant, Petrus Uscan in the 1720s it was taken over by the East India Company in 1752 and developed as a Protestant church. It was rebuilt in 1842, partly funded by the Madras Government on condition that it be used for worship according to the rites of the Church of England. Uscan was one of only two Catholics allowed to live inside the Fort at Madras by the British.