View in the 'Lalbagh' [Gardens], Bangalore.
Photographer: Penn, Albert Thomas Watson
Medium: Photographic print
This photograph of the Lal Bagh Gardens was taken by Albert Thomas Penn in the 1870s and is from an album entitled 'Views in Bangalore', part of the Vibart Collection. The Lal Bagh gardens were created in the late 18th Century by the Rajas of Mysore Haider Ali Khan, (c.1722 - 1782) and his son, Tipu Sultan (1753 -1799). This royal retreat was stocked with many rare and exotic varieties of plants and trees brought from Persia, Afghanistan and France. In early 19th century the gardens were taken over by the East India Company and converted into a botanic garden.