Views of the Town Church, Rangoon
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of Holy Trinity Church in Rangoon (Yangon), Burma (Myanmar), dating from the 1870s, part of the Dunlop Smith Collection: Sir Charles Aitchison Album of Views in India and Burma. The photograph is unsigned, but was probably taken by J. Jackson. Holy Trinity was an Anglican church designed by Captain J.M. Williams, Executive Engineer, and completed in 1865 on a site close to the Rangoon River in central Rangoon between Strand Road and Merchant Street. This view is taken from Strand Road looking eastwards along the road and shows the church in the left foreground. Beyond are the Chief Commissioner's Office, the District Courts and Public Offices, and in the extreme distance the Custom House. This print also appears in volume II of H.R. Spearman's ‘The British Burma Gazetteer’ (2 vols, Rangoon, 1879-80), p.572.