View of Merchant Street, Rangoon 3551160
Photographer: Jackson, J.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of Merchant Street in Rangoon (Yangon), Burma (Myanmar), taken by J. Jackson in about 1868, part of the Dunlop Smith Collection: Sir Charles Aitchison Album of Views in India and Burma. In the mid-19th century, Rangoon was rebuilt by British military engineers on a long, east-west geometric grid plan. Merchant Street is the most southerly of the streets dating from this time and is so named because it was the main business thoroughfare. This is a view looking west along the street, with the spire of Holy Trinity Church (completed 1865) visible in the distance to the left. The tower of the Roman Catholic Cathedral (completed 1859) is at the right on the corner of Fytche Square. It is the same view as seen in print 159 from the Sir Charles Aitchison album but less tightly cropped and showing more at the right and left-hand side of the street. This print also appears in volume II of H.R. Spearman's 'The British Burma Gazetteer' (2 vols, Rangoon, 1879-80), p.567.