Views at Tonghoo. 3551183
Medium: Photographic print
This photograph of a European church in Taungoo (Toungoo), Burma (Myanmar), was taken by an unknown photographer in about 1880 and is from an album which forms part of the collection of Sir James Robert Dunlop Smith (although internal evidence indicates that the album was compiled by Sir Charles Umpherson Aitchison, whose daughter Beatrice Clementina married Dunlop Smith). Taungoo, situated on the right bank of the Sittang River in the Tenasserim division of Lower Burma, was the centre of a powerful post-Bagan kingdom from the 14th to the 16th century. It became a vital frontier station for the British after the second Burmese War (1852), until 1893 when the troops were withdrawn. Close to densely-forested mountain ranges, it is a centre for the teak trade and is abundantly supplied with areca palms from which the Burmese get the betelnuts for betel chews.