Views at Tonghoo. 3551185
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of Taungoo (Toungoo), Burma (Myanmar), taken by an unknown photographer in about 1880, part of the Dunlop Smith Collection: Sir Charles Aitchison Album of Views in India and Burma. Taungoo, situated on the right bank of the Sittang River in the Tenasserim division of Lower Burma, was once the centre of a powerful post-Bagan kingdom from the 14th to the 16th century. It became a vital frontier station for the British after the second Burmese War (1852), until 1893 when the troops were withdrawn. Close to densely-forested mountain ranges, it is a centre for the teak trade and is abundantly supplied with areca palms from which the Burmese get the betelnuts for betel chews.