View of two bearers carrying a jampan on the sports ground, Naini Tal
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of Nainital from the Macnabb Collection (Col James Henry Erskine Reid): Album of views of 'Naini Tal' taken by an unknown photographer in 1885. The area of the Kumaon Hills had come under British rule after the Anglo-Nepal War (1814-16) but it wasn't until 1841 that P. Barron built the first European house in Nainital. The town became the summer headquarters of the colonial administration of the province. It was a popular retreat for the residents of the plains. Being popular with the British, the town developed a British character with several European schools, barracks and a sanatorium.This view shows a jampan, a kind of palanquin or box on poles in which a person would be transported, being carried across the sports-ground, also known as 'The Flats', which was built after the landslip disaster of 1880.