Photograph of Satrunjaya from James Burgess, 'The Temples of Satrunjaya, the celebrated Jain place of pilgrimage...' by Skyes and Dwyer in 1869. Satrunjaya is an ancient Jain place of pilgrimage where it is believed that Adinatha, the first Jain Tirthankara visited several times and his disciple Pundarika obtained enlightenment. On the two summits of the hill, which rise 600 m above the plain around the town of Palitana in Gujarat, there are many hundreds of multi-spired temples where every day pilgrims come to pay reverence to the different Jain saints. The sanctuaries are grouped in fortified enclosures or tuks, named after their founders. Most of the temples date to the 16th century-earlier temples were destroyed by Muslim invaders in the 14th and 15th centuries. This is a view across the Motisah enclosure to the south-east with the temple of Hiranachand Raya and the Vaghanapola on the southern summit.