Vethiya Wav: two pavilions at the well, near Mukhana, Kathiawar
Photographer: Burgess, James
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of two columned pavilions at the stepwell of Vikia Vav, near Mukhana in Kathiawar, taken by James Burgess in 1874-75. Vikia Vav, situated near the ancient town of Ghumli, is one of the largest step-well in Gujarat and dates from the early twelfth century. Stepwells are underground monuments which generally consist of a vertical well with a system of hauling up water by buckets; a stepped corridor of tiered galleries that reach down to the water level of the well; and numerous pavilions in the stepped corridor. This view shows the remains of gallery pavilions above ground with the elaborately carved columns and brackets of the Vikia Vav. They have balcony seating and pyramidal roofs that have almost all collapsed. The well is reached through a long staircase.