View from the left looking along interior of verandah of the two storeyed Buddhist Vihara, Cave V, Ajanta
Photographer: Gill, Robert
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the verandah of Cave V at Ajanta, taken by Robert Gill around 1868-70. The Buddhist cave temples of Ajanta were excavated into a horse-shoe shaped cliff overlooking the Waghora River in the 2nd – 1st Century BC and later in the 5th Century AD. The caves are numbered 1-28 according to their location on the cliff and not chronologically. They consists of monasteries (viharas) and prayer-halls (chaitya) used by a community of Buddhist monks who resided there. Cave V is a small unfinished vihara dated to the 7th century AD. On the right of the verandah there is a cell. The only standing pillar of the verandah has a square base, an octagonal shaft and a broad capital. The door-frame is decorated with carvings and figures of divinities standing on makaras. The architrave is divided into six compartments with a pair of standing figures in each. In the lintel there is a figure of Buddha with attendants. Two colonnettes support the frieze in which are five chaitya window ornaments.