View from the left looking along interior of verandah of Buddhist Vihara, Cave VII, Ajanta
Photographer: Gill, Robert
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the verandah of cave VII, Ajanta taken by Robert Gill c.1868-70. Ajanta is situated in the modern state of Maharashtra. At Ajanta, there are nearly thirty rock-cut caves set into a cliff in a bend in the Waghora river. The temples were found by accident by Captain John Smith on a hunting trip but were not documented properly until the middle of the nineteenth century. The construction of the caves can be divided into two distinct periods, the first dating to the 1st to 2nd centuries BC whilst the second was around 500 years later. Cave VII is a Buddhist monastery which dates to the late 5th Century. It consists of two small porticos with octagonal columns with fluted cushion capitals. The overhanging eave is decorated with carvings of horseshoe-shaped windows. There are small cells at the ends and the shrine in the middle of the rear wall has a standing and a seated Buddha.