View from the right of façade of Buddhist chaitya hall, Cave XIX, Ajanta
Photographer: Gill, Robert
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the façade of the Buddhist chaitya hall, Cave XIX at Ajanta, taken by Robert Gill around 1868-70, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. The Buddhist cave temples of Ajanta were excavated into a horse-shoe shaped cliff overlooking the Waghora River during the 2nd and 1st centuries BC. Cave 19 is an elaborate rock-cut chaitya hall from the late 5th century. The external facade has a large horseshoe-arched window flanked by figures of yakshas and Buddhas carved in relief, above a columned portico. The outer walls are decorated with carved figures of seated and standing Buddhas, and columns embellished with scrollwork, foliation and jewelled bands. The side chapels on either side of the facade have columns with carved pot and foliage capitals.