View from the left looking along interior of verandah of Buddhist Vihara, Cave XXIV, Ajanta
Photographer: Gill, Robert
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the verandah of the Buddhist Vihara, Cave XXIV at Ajanta, taken by Robert Gill around 1868-70, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. The Buddhist cave temples of Ajanta were first excavated into a cliff overlooking the Waghora River in the 2nd and 1st centuries BC. Cave 24 dates to the end of the 5th century. This monastery was planned on a large scale but was left unfinished. Most of the columns of the porch have fallen but their rich ornamentation can still be seen from the ruins. The shafts have bands of floral designs alternating with flutes, carved medallions and square compartments with figures. The capitals are carved with flying figures and amorous couples above compressed ribbed amalaka fruits with small figures of ghanas supporting the brackets.