View from the left looking along interior of verandah of Buddhist chaitya hall, Cave XXVI, Ajanta, entrance doorway in left foreground, and 'chapel' at right
Photographer: Gill, Robert
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the exterior of Cave XXVI at Ajanta, taken by Robert Gill in c.1868-70, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. The Buddhist cave temples of Ajanta were first excavated into a cliff overlooking the Waghora River from the 2nd to1st centuries BC. This large chaitya hall in Cave 26, belongs to a later group from the 5th century AD. This view shows the columned verandah, now almost destroyed, that extends across the facade in the courtyard before the cave; also the entrance to one of the side chapels on the right.