View of South Garden, Mandalay Palace 10042642
Photographer: Archaeological Survey of India
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the South Garden in the grounds of the Nandaw (Royal Palace) at Mandalay in Burma (Myanmar), from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections: Burma Circle, 1907-13. The photograph was taken by an unknown photographer of the Burma Archaeological Survey. This is a view of pavilions in the garden of the Royal Palace, which lay next to ornamental lakes with artificial grottoes bordered by palm groves to the south of the palace, outside the inner enclosure. The palace stood at the centre of Mandalay, a walled city founded in 1857 which became Burma’s last great royal capital. It was one of the first buildings to be constructed, re-using many parts of the teak buildings from the former capital Amarapura. Following Burmese tradition, it was built on an east-west axis and the public state rooms were situated on the east front, facing the main city gate. Buildings on the south face included the apartments of the King’s mother and queens of various rank, a theatre and a watch-tower, overlooking the gardens. It was in the summer house in the Southern Garden that Thibaw (reigned 1878-1885), the last king of Burma, formally surrendered to the British in 1885 following the Third Burmese War which culminated in the annexation of Upper Burma. The original palace and many surrounding buildings were destroyed by fire during Allied bombing raids in 1945 during the Second World War but it has since been partially reconstructed.