View from Allandine Pagoda [Moulmein]
Photographer: Watts and Skeen
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph from the Curzon Collection, with a view over Moulmein (Mawlamyaing), with ships at anchor in the Salween (Thanlwin) River beyond, taken possibly from the Aung Theikdi Pagoda. Moulmein, the chief town of the Mon State, lies on the coast of south-east Burma at the mouth of the river where it meets the Gulf of Martaban (Mottama). It developed as a colonial town between 1827 and 1852, when it was the administrative capital of British Burma. During this period, it became a major centre for the export of teak, and remains an important seaport for coastal shipping. A number of shrines and monasteries like the Aung Theikdi Pagoda, were built on a ridge of hills running north-south in east Moulmein.