Veraval Harbour [with local sailing vessels at anchor]
Photographer: Solankee Studio
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph from the Curzon Collection: 'Presented with feelings of friendship and sincere admiration to Lord Curzon of Kedleston, Viceroy and Governor-General of India, by H.H. Rasulkhanji, Navab Junagadha. 1900', of the harbour at Veravel, Gujarat, taken by the Solankee Studio, Rajkot, in c.1900. Veraval is situated on the Saurashtran coast 83 km south-west of Junagadh and was one of the state’s principal ports. Despite having no natural harbour and poor anchorage, it had historically been an important trading centre and was used as a departure point for pilgrims travelling to Mecca under the rule of the Sultans of Gujarat. From 1866 it was developed and improved by the Junagadh Durbar for use as a lighterage port, with the construction of a protective seawall and a lighthouse. This view shows sailing vessels anchored in the harbour, with a pier at left.