Photographer: Solankee Studio
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph from the Curzon Collection: 'Presented with feelings of friendship and sincere admiration to Lord Curzon of Kedleston, Viceroy and Governor-General of India, by H.H. Rasulkhanji, Navab Junagadha. 1900', of the lighthouse at Veravel, Gujarat, taken by the Solankee Studio, Rajkot, in c.1900. Veraval is situated on the Saurashtran coast 83 km south-west of Junagadh and was one of the state's principal ports. Despite having no natural harbour and poor anchorage, it had historically been an important trading centre and was used as a departure point for pilgrims travelling to Mecca under the rule of the Sultans of Gujarat. From 1866 it was developed and improved by the Junagadh Durbar for use as a lighterage port, with the construction of a protective seawall 1600 feet long and a lighthouse. The lighthouse was built in 1876 on the west side of the harbour by the Nawab of Junagadh. It was a white masonry tower 56 feet high and cast a white beam visible for thirteen miles out to sea.