Photograph of the view from the top of the Jaya Stambh or Tower of Victory at Chittaurgarh in Rajasthan, taken by Deen Dayal in the 1890s, from the Curzon Collection: 'Views in Meywar'. Lord Curzon served as Viceroy of India between 1899 and 1905. The Jaya Stambha or Tower of Victory was erected by the warrior king Rana Kumbha (ruled 1433-68) in 1448 to commemorate his victory over the Muslim ruler of Delhi. It is situated in the spectacular hill-top fortress of Chittaurgarh which rises about 150 metres from the plain. Massive walls encircle the narrow plateau and is approached by a winding road. The fort was the headquarters of the state of Mewar under the Guilhots and later the Sisodia. During the 16th century it was sacked twice and in 1567, when the fort was sacked for the final time by the Mughal Emperor Akbar, Udaipur was chosen as the new capital of the Mewar state and Chittaurgarh was abandoned. This is a view looking along the plateau to the plains below.