View in the Kondapalle Fort, Krishna District
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of a view around the Kondapalle Fort in Andhra Pradesh, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections, c.1880. The old hillfort of Kondapalle was built around 1360 by the Reddis of Kondavid. The ruins of the former citadel are situated over the walled enclosure of the old city. The fort was captured by the Bahmani King Humayun in 1458 and in 1687 it was occupied by Aurangzeb. It 1766 the British stormed the fort and took it. The fort is entered through three gates. On the fortified summit there is the old palace. Three gates lead to the upper fort where the Tanisha Mahal or Palace is situated. In this view some of the outworks of the fort are distinguishable, although the site has largely reverted to nature.