View from the south end of pillars in the interior of the Jami Masjid, Khambhat (Cambay)
Photographer: Cousens, Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Jami Masjid at Cambay in Gujarat, taken by Henry Cousens in the 1880s, from the Archaeological Survey of India. Khambhat, or Cambay, is an ancient sea-port, about 84 km (52 miles) south of Ahmadabad. The city was captured by 'Ala u'd-din Khalji in 1304 and the mosque was built shortly after in 1325. On the south side of the mosque is a square tomb, built of marble, where 'Umar b.Ahmad Gazruni (d.1333) is buried. The mosque has an open courtyard in front, surrounded by corridors. The main sanctuary has one hundred pillars supporting the roof that were evidently taken from Hindu and Jain temples. They are arranged in two rows of twenty six each, leaving a corridor between the front wall and first row. Eight rows of six pillars run adjacent to the facade creating fourteen square areas, each covered in a dome. This photograph shows some of the pillars supporting one of the corbelled domes in the interior of the mosque.