Stereoscopic photograph from the left of the façade of the Buddhist vihara, Cave 5 at Ajanta, taken by Robert Gill in 1868. The Buddhist cave temples of Ajanta were excavated into a horse-shoe shaped cliff overlooking the Waghora River in the 2nd – 1st century BC and later in the 5th century AD, a period of time which coincides with the Hinayana and Mahayana phases of Buddhist art. The caves are numbered 1-28 according to their location on the cliff. They consist of monasteries (viharas) and prayer-halls (chaitya) used by the community of Buddhist monks who resided there. Cave 5 is a small unfinished vihara ascribed to the 7th century AD. On the right of the verandah there is a cell. The only standing pillar of the verandah has a square base, an octagonal shaft and a broad capital. The door-frame is decorated with carvings and figures of divinities standing on makaras.