View from the left of the interior of Buddhist vihara, Cave XII, Ajanta
Photographer: Gill, Robert
Medium: Photographic print
Stereoscopic photograph of the interior of the Buddhist vihara, Cave 12 at Ajanta, taken by Robert Gill in 1868. The Buddhist cave temples of Ajanta were excavated into a horse-shoe shaped cliff overlooking the Waghora River in the 2nd – 1st century BC and later in the 5th century AD. Cave 12 is one of the earliest excavations at Ajanta which dates from the 2nd century BC. The façade of the monastery has collapsed exposing the interior square hall which has no columns. Over the cell doorways there are carved arches with internal ribs.