View from the right of the interior of Buddhist vihara, Cave XIII, Ajanta
Photographer: Gill, Robert
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the interior of the Buddhist vihara, Cave 13 at Ajanta, taken by Robert Gill in 1868. The thirty magnificent cave temples of Ajanta are situated in a horse-shoe valley of the Waghora river in West India and consist of prayer halls (chaityas) and monasteries (viharas) built for the Buddhist community who lived there. The caves were in use for about eight centuries and can be divided into two groups according to the early Hinayana and later Mahayana phases of Buddhist art. The first group was excavated between the 2nd - 1st century BC, the second is dated to around 5th century AD in the Vakataka period. Cave 13 is one of the earliest excavated caves and dates from the 2nd century BC. The facade has collapsed exposing the square hall without any columns.