View from the right of the façade of Buddhist vihara, Cave XVII, Ajanta
Photographer: Gill, Robert
Medium: Photographic print
Stereoscopic photograph of the façade of the Buddhist vihara Cave 17 at Ajanta taken by Robert Gill in 1868. The Buddhist cave temples of Ajanta were excavated into a horse-shoe shaped cliff overlooking the Waghora River in the 2nd – 1st century BC and later in the 5th century AD. Cave 17 is a fine monastery which was excavated as a residence for the Buddhist monks in the late 5th century. It is one of the caves which has preserved the greatest number of paintings representing scenes from the Jataka stories. The octagonal pillars of the verandah have almost all fallen.