View from the right of the façade of Buddhist vihara, Cave XXIV, Ajanta
Photographer: Gill, Robert
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the façade of the Buddhist Vihara, Cave 24 at Ajanta, taken by Robert Gill in 1868. The Buddhist cave temples of Ajanta were excavated into a horse-shoe shaped cliff overlooking the Waghora River in the 2nd – 1st century BC and later in the 5th century AD. Cave 24 was left unfinished when the excavations were interrupted in the late 5th century. The pillars from the verandah are mostly fallen but still show their elaborate ornamentation. The shafts were carved with medallions with aquatic monsters or makaras with foliated tails, bands of ornate foliation and scrollwork and half lotus motifs. The capitals have the shape of compressed ribbed amalaka fruits with small figures of ghanas supporting the bracket. These are elaborately carved with small amorous couples and flying figures.