View from the south of the four-pillared mandapa and gopura of the Kailasanatha Temple, Tiruchengodu 2600
Photographer: Madras School of Industrial Arts
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the four-pillared mandapa and of the gopura of the Kailasanatha Temple at Tiruchengodu, Tamil Nadu, taken by the Madras School of Industrial Arts around 1868, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. The town of Tiruchengodu is situated at the foot of Nagagiri ('Serpent Hill'). The Kailasanatha Temple dates back to the Chola period but most of its architecture belongs to the Vijayanagar period. The entrance gopura, or gateway, was built by Vijaya Ranga Chokkalinga Nayakka of Madura in 1664. This view shows a line of pillars along the exterior face of the mandapa, carved in the form of rearing yalis or lion-like beasts.