View of sculpture at north end of verandah of the Indra Sabha rock-cut temple, Ellora
Photographer: Nepean, Henry Mack
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the sculpture at north end of the verandah of the Indra Sabha rock-cut temple at Ellora, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections, taken by Henry Mack Nepean in 1868. The spectacular site of Ellora has a group of Hindu, Buddhist and Jain cave temples which extend for over 2 km on the west face of a basalt cliff. Indra Sabha is the largest of the Jain series excavated under Rashtrakuta patronage in the 9th century. A simple gateway leads to a courtyard which contains a monolithic shrine with a pyramidal roof. The interior of this double storey cave has a columned mandapa or hall with niches on the three sides and the sanctuary in the middle of the back wall. The columns have rectangular shafts with exuberant foliate and garland motifs and cushion capitals typical of the last phase of Ellora architecture. The carved panels depict the Jain Tirthankaras or saints, Mahavira, Gommateshvara and Parshvanatha.