View from the south of the four-pillared mandapa and gopura of the Kailasanatha Temple, Tiruchengodu 2701
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the four-pillared mandapa and gopura of the Kailasanatha Temple at Tiruchengodu in Tamil Nadu, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections, taken by an unknown photographer in the 1870s. The town of Tiruchengodu is situated at the foot of Nagagiri ('Serpent Hill'). The Kailasanatha Temple dates back to the Chola period but most of its architecture belongs to the Vijayanagar period. The entrance gopura, or gateway, was built by Vijaya Ranga Chokkalinga Nayakka of Madura in 1664.