View of the Man Mandir Palace from the south-west, Gwalior
Photographer: Herne, George Edward
Medium: Photographic print
The Man Mandir is a remarkable Hindu palace built between 1486 and 1516 by the Tomar ruler Raja Man Singh inside the fort at Gwalior. The building consists of two storeys above the ground level and two below in the eastern part. The underground chambers were used to house royal prisoners. The southern facade shown here has three round towers with latticework battlements and is richly ornamented with carved motifs and enamelled tiles in blue, green and yellow depicting elephants, crocodiles and ducks. The domed tops of the towers were originally gilded with copper to add to the opulent visual impression. This is a view of the south wall of the palace, from inside the Fort, with a bazaar in the foreground.