Wall of north jetty showing portion of tunnel in wall arched over. Excavation of bay nearly completed [Victoria Dock construction, Bombay].
Photographer: Taurines, E.
Medium: Photographic print
A photograph by E Taurines of the Victoria Dock construction work in Bombay City taken between 1885 and 1888. In 1884, a scheme for a dock extension put before the Government was approved. The extension, which later came to be called Victoria Dock, was a water space of 24.22 acres, containing three jetties, 400 ft long by 230 ft wide, a passage communicating with the Prince's Dock and a rear entrance. The dock and harbour walls and the 80 ft entrance were finished in December 1887, the total length of wharf and entrance walls measuring 8,626 ft. The erection of the 80 ft gates was begun on the 19 December 1887 and these, together with the gate machines, were completed by the 20 February. Both the swing bridges with the capstans, sluice machines and the first 20 cargo cranes were erected and ready for work by the end of that year.