Western end Dakka Fort, looking towards Khurd Khyber.
Photographer: Burke, John
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph with a view of the Dakka Fort of the Khyber Pass, taken by John Burke in 1878. Burke accompanied the Peshawar Valley Field Force, one of three British Anglo-Indian army columns deployed in the Second Afghan War (1878-80), despite being rejected for the role of official photographer. He financed his trip by advance sales of his photographs 'illustrating the advance from Attock to Jellalabad'. Coming to India as apothecary with the Royal Engineers, Burke turned professional photographer, assisting William Baker. Travelling widely in India, they were the main rivals to the better-known Bourne and Shepherd. Burke's two-year Afghan expedition produced an important visual document of the region where strategies of the Great Game were played out.
The Anglo-Russian rivalry (called the Great Game) precipitated the Second Afghan War. Afghanistan was of strategic importance to the British in the defence of their Indian Empire, and the prevention of the spreading influence of Russia. They favoured a Forward Policy of extending India's frontiers to the Hindu Kush and gaining control over Afghanistan. An opportunity presented itself when the Amir Sher Ali turned away a British mission while a Russian mission was visiting his court at Kabul. The British had demanded a permanent mission at Kabul which Sher Ali, trying to keep a balance between the Russians and British, would not permit.
British suspicions of the Amir's perceived susceptibility to the Russians led them to invade Afghanistan.
The Khyber Pass descends from Landi Kotal through Shinwari territory to Landi Khana where it traverses another gorge and enters Afghanistan. Dakka is a small village in Afghanistan. This photograph has a general view of the interior of the fort at Dakka, with the Hindu Kush mountains beyond and soldiers and oxen moving about in the foreground. The Peshawar Valley Field Force rested here for three weeks after traversing the Pass in November 1878.