Where King Thibaw gave up his kingdom [Mandalay]
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of a summerhouse in the gardens of the Nandaw or Royal Palace at Mandalay, taken by an unknown photographer in the 1890s. This view records the location of the formal surrender of Thibaw, the last king of Burma, to the British in 1885. Mandalay was founded in 1857 by King Mindon Min of the Konbaung dynasty and became Burma’s last royal capital. King Thibaw was Mindon's successor who ruled from 1878 until 1885, when Mandalay was occupied by the British during the Third Anglo-Burmese War which culminated in the annexation of Upper Burma (the British already controlled Lower Burma). On 1 January 1886 Burma ceased to exist as an independent country and became a province of British India. Thibaw and his queen Supayalat were deposed and exiled to Madras in India. The photograph is from an album devoted almost entirely to Lord Elgin’s Burma tour of November to December 1898. Victor Alexander Bruce (1849-1917), ninth Earl of Elgin and 13th Earl of Kincardine, served as Viceroy of India between 1894 and 1899.