Writers' Buildings, Calcutta
Photographer: Fiebig, Frederick
Medium: Photographic print
A hand-coloured print of the Writer's Building, Calcutta, from the Fiebig Collection: Views of Calcutta and Surrounding Districts, taken by Frederick Fiebig in 1851. This is a view of the Writers' Buildings which occupies the whole of the north side of Tank (later Dalhousie) Square, taken from the north-west corner. Built by Thomas Lyon in 1777, this was once the residence of 'Writers' (clerks) of the East India Company. The edifice was refaced in 1880. The building is now State Government offices.