Waverley Hotel, Naini Tal, 1900
Medium: Photographic print
General view looking towards the hotel, with the hillside beyond, from the Macnabb Collection (Col James Henry Erskine Reid): Album of Indian Views, taken by an unknown photographer in 1900. The area of the Kumaon Hills had come under British rule after the Anglo-Nepal War (1814-16) but it wasn't until 1841 that P. Barron built the first European house in Nainital. The town became the summer headquarters of the colonial administration of the province. It was a popular retreat for the residents of the plains. Being popular with the British, the town developed a British character with several European schools, barracks and a sanatorium. This is a view of the Waverly Hotel, which was one of many in Naini Tal to accommodate the large number of visitors in the summer.