Wood Yard, Mazagaom [Mazagaon, Bombay].
Photographer: Scott, Charles
Medium: Photographic print
General view of a timber yard in Mazagaon, Bombay from 'Views in the island of Bombay' taken by Captain Charles Scott in the late 1850s. Bombay consisted of seven swampy islands when the Portuguese acquired it in 1534. In 1661 it was given to the British crown, as a part of the dowry of Catherine of Braganza for her marriage to Charles II. The British leased them to the East India Company in 1668, who realised the potential as a natural harbour in the Arabian Sea. In the 1770s since Bombay began to trade in cotton with China and exports of other goods from Bombay increased, the British decided to build a new dock at Mazagaon, which lay east of the main island of Bombay. The area developed due to the growth of trade and subsequent economic prosperity of the town. Land reclamation projects in the 19th century joint the islands making Mazagaon landlocked and losing its prosperity to neighbouring areas.