Water palace, Odeypur
Photographer: Dayal, Deen (1844-1905)
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Jagniwas Palace at Udaipur in Rajasthan, taken by Raja Deen Dayal & Sons in the 1880s, from the Curzon Collection: 'Views of places proposed to be visited by Their Excellencies Lord & Lady Curzon during Autumn Tour 1902'. Lord Curzon served as Viceroy of India between 1899 and 1905. The Jagniwas is one of several lake palaces at Udaipur, built by the rulers of Mewar, the Sisodia Rajputs. It stands on a small island in the middle of Lake Pichola. The palace consists of a series of white marble pavilions set in gardens with courts, fountains and trees. It was built by Jagat Singh II (r.1734-51) and dates mainly from 1754 with later additions. It was once the summer residence of the rulers of Mewar but is now the Lake Palace Hotel. This bird’s eye view from the shore shows the whole of the island in the lake, with trees rising above the domed kiosks on its perimeter walls and the Aravalli hills in the distance.