Zanana Palace in Bharatpur Fort
Photographer: Priyalall and Company
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Zenana Palace in the Lohagarh or Iron Fort at Bharatpur, Rajasthan, from 'Views in the Bharatpur State and Neighbourhod' taken by the studio of Priyalall & Company in c.1900. Bharatpur became the capital of the Sinsini Jat kingdom in 1733 and the palace, containing the zenana or women's quarters, is one of several built by the Jats in the fort during the 18th and 19th centuries. Another print of the same image is described as Randhir Singh’s Palace; Randhir Singh was the eighth Maharaja of Bharatpur (r.1805-1823). This view from a courtyard shows a two-storey pavilion with a flight of steps next to a larger building. The pavilion has a balcony supported on brackets and a curved bangaldar roof. The architectural style of both buildings is characteristic of Jat royal architecture, particularly the 18th-century garden palace complex at Dig.
The album of 'Views in the Bharatpur State and Neighbourhod' was presented to the India Office in 1912 by the Festival of Empire, held in 1911 at Crystal Palace in London to mark the coronation of George V. The Maharaja of Bharatpur was among the exhibitors in the Indian Section of the Imperial Exhibition held as part of the Festival.